Wednesday, May 18, 2011

SIX RHYMING RIDDLES

1)
She wore her yellow sun-bonnet,
She wore her greenest gown;
She turned to the south wind,
She curtsied up and down.
She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbor:
"Winter now is dead."

From "When We Were Very Young"
By A .A. Milne

2)
Often talked of, never seen,
Ever coming, never been;
Daily looked for, never here,
Always approaching, ever near.

Thousands upon my visit wait,
But, alas, such is their fate,
For though they trust I will appear,
Never, ever will I be here.

3)
Don't cry for me,
The doing's done.
From once-green pastures
Did my mother come.
If left alone, I will offend,
On that you truly can depend.

4)
I welcome you and bid you farewell,
I acknowledge you when you've done something well;
Silver and Scout I will help you to measure,
You hold me in yours when playing at leisure.

5)
I eat and breathe and move so much,
I leave you tender to the touch;
Within me lies help - or harm - for you,
But one rarely predicts what I will do.
I move around, yet have no legs,
And multiply, but lay no eggs.
My colors change as I get intense,
I bear no ill will, in my defense.

6)
My first is in ocean but not in sea,
My second in milk but not in me;
My third in there but not in throw,
My fourth in vow but not in crow;
My fifth in eight but not in night,
My last in wrong and also right.
Mt whole is praise for thoughts or men,
Or women, too, or tongue or pen.

Answers:

1. A dandelion
2. Tomorrow
3. Spilled milk
4. Hands
5. Fire
6. CLEVER



No comments:

Post a Comment