Wednesday, May 4, 2011

FIVE RHYMING RIDDLES

1)
I gathered them in the forest as they grew;
I held them in my hands and gave them to you.
But though you took and cast them on the floor,
They cling to my hands evermore.
Oh, could I but behead them, then they'd be freed,
And I would give them unto those who plead.

2)
A slippery fish in a cloudy sea;
Neither hook nor spear will capture me.
Only your hand can seize this fish,
To see that it ends up in the dish.

3)
Tell me what a dozen rubber trees,
With 30 boughs on each might be.

4)
I am valued much and arrive for free,
It takes time and money to take care of me;
My loss is mourned, especially by men,
Yet they often pay to get rid of me.

5)
With T I'm the crime
Of a country betrayed;
Alone, I'm the grounds
Of an argument made.

HINTS:
1. The answer has to do with a word that is a homograph. One meaning is a type of tree, and the other has to do with your hand.
2. It's not really a fish.
3. "Tree" is used only as a metaphor. The numbers 12 and 30 are the best clues.

Answers:

1. Palms/alms
2. Bar of soap
3. Months of the year
4. Hair
5. Treason/reason


No comments:

Post a Comment