Wednesday, March 27, 2024

PUTTING IT TOGETHER II

GAMES Magazine
September, 2004
Frank Carchia
 
Fill in the blanks in each sentence below with two words that logically complete it and also form an entirely new word when put together. As a clue, a synonym or definition of the newly-formed word in each sentence will appear somewhere in that sentence.
 
Example: 
After pardoning the unjustly-convicted criminal, the governor received heartfelt thanks _____  _____ the prisoner his freedom at long last.

The answer words would be FOR and GIVING - FORGIVING (pardoning)

1. I can't stay in the room and look at the TV when the quarterback of my favorite team throws a Hail Mary; I go _____, _____ back in, and hope for the best result.

2. Jane, fed up with her sexist boss, cried, "I demand respect! If you call me '_____'  _____ 'sweetie pie' one more time, I quit!"

3. Mrs. Jones said to her husband, "Be frank with me. When you poured the soup out of the _____  _____ it spill all over my new tablecloth?"

4. I always lecture my boyfriend when he gawks at his favorite Victoria's Secret commercial, although I must admit that the models in that _____  _____ very seductively.

5. The queen wanted her husband to be a _____  _____, so she began pondering weight-loss strategies for him.

6. The toy store still has _____  _____ of those popular action figures left on the shelves, so hurry on over and snap one up.

7. That sales _____  _____ all the time: every time a customer asks him a question, he answers dishonestly.

HINTS:
Initial letters of the missing words:
1. o - c
2. h - o 
3. c - d
4. a - d 
5. t - k
6. h - t
7. r - l

Answers:
 
1. OUT COME - OUTCOME (result)
2. 'HON' OR - HONOR (respect) 
3. CAN DID - CANDID (frank) 
4. AD DRESS - ADDRESS (lecture)
5. THIN KING - THINKING (pondering)
6. HAS TEN - HASTEN (hurry)
7. REP LIES - REPLIES (answers)

No comments:

Post a Comment