Tuesday, May 19, 2020

TOM SWIFTIES I

A Tom Swifty is a one-line play on words involving a punning relationship between the way an adverb (or other ending) describes the action of the speaker (Tom) and the content of his statement. Almost all Tom Swifties end with an adverb ending in LY, but some end with a non-adverbial finish. There are thousands of Tom Swifties, and, like puns in general, they can become tedious. They vary widely in sophistication, most being the "Boys' Life" variety, but even those can be funny and clever. Some Tom Swifties are very insightful and even ingenious.

Some examples:

"The thermostat is set too high," Tom said heatedly.
"I forgot what to buy at the store," Tom said listlessly.
"I need a pencil sharpener," Tom said bluntly.
"Let's gather up the rope." Tom said coyly.
"I love sleeping outdoors," Tom said intently.
"I just ran over my father," Tom said transparently.
"I just dropped the toothpaste," Tom said crestfallenly.
"This hotdog is perfect," said Tom with relish.
"This wind is awful," Tom blustered.

Add the appropriate adverb (or other finish) to complete these Tom Swifties:

1. "I'm and ordained minister," Tom said _______________.
2. "I think I've struck oil." Tom said ___________________.
3. "I just don't like hotdogs," Tom said _________________.
4. "Let's get married," Tom said _______________________.
5. "There's room for one more," Tom ___________________.
6. "I brought the dessert," Tom said ____________________.
7. "I find you guilty," Judge Tom said with ______________.
8. "I've missed five days of school," Tom said ____________.
9. "Look at all those new-born kittens," Tom said _________.
10. "You have the right to remain silent," Tom said _______.

Answers:

1. reverently
2. crudely
3. frankly
4. engagingly
5. admitted
6. piously
7. conviction
8. absently
9. literally
10. arrestingly 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment