Monday, August 23, 2021

 FIVE RHYMING RIDDLES

1. The first in COW, two in NIXON;
    Three in DAMSEL, three in VIXEN.
 
    What are we? 

2. What is unusual about this verse?
 
     Sir, I bear a rhyme excelling
     In mystic force and magic spelling.
 
3. We are four words that rhyme,
    Figure us out - now's the time:
 
   The first is simply paper money,
   The second grinds grain, and that's not funny.
   The third is when you pour but miss,
   The last is Jack's little sis.  

4. I'm a slippery fish in a cloudy sea;
    No hook or spear can capture me.
    Only your hand can seize this fish,
    To see that it ends up in its dish. 

5. Saturday and Sunday I'm big;
    Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday I'm small.
    Monday and Friday, I don't exist at all.
    Who am I?
 
HINT:
2. Math

Answers:
 
1. Roman numerals: 
    C in COW - IX in NIXON
    DML in DAMSEL / VIX  in VIXEN
 
2. The lengths of the words correspond to the beginning digits of Pi: 3.1415926358 
 
3. BILL, MILL, SPILL, JILL 
 
4.  A bar of soap 
 
5. The letter "S"

No comments:

Post a Comment