MALAPROPISMS XV
The Word's The Thing
Dr. Louis D. Appel
Identify the malapropism in each sentence and supply the correct word.
1. In his funeral sermon, the minister gave a moving tribute to the diseased.
2. He was very sorry for what he had done, full of cognition.
3. I'd hold off off on that plan if I were you. The time just isn't prodigious.
4. Please help me tie this moribund on my tuxedo.
5. The two solutions equalized their concentrations through prognosis.
6. A visit to his old home town filled him with neuralgia.
7. The way he proliferates about politics is infuriating, as though only he is right.
8. The judge ruled that the defendant be immediately expanded to custody.
9. I'd like to be a finish carpenter, but first I need to be an accomplice.
10. Please stop telling such piebald jokes. Can't you see ladies are present?
Answers:
1. diseased - deceased
2. cognition - contrition
3. prodigious - propitious
4. moribund - cummerbund
5. prognosis - osmosis
6. neuralgia - nostalgia
7. proliferates - pontificates
8. expanded - remanded
9. accomplice - apprentice
10. piebald - ribald
No comments:
Post a Comment