QUOTES CLXIV
FAMOUS MIS-QUOTATIONS (IV)
Source: The Play of Words
Richard Lederer
(Authors shown below the quotes)
1. Misquote: All I know is what I read in the papers.
Actual quote: All I know is what I see in the papers.
2. Misquote: Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me.
Actual quote: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me.
3. Misquote: Birds of a feather flock together.
Actual quote: Birds of a feather will gather together.
4. Misquote: I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country.
Actual quote: I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
5. Misquote: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Actual quote: A little learning is a dangerous thing.
6. Misquote: Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die.
Actual quote: Theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do and die.
7. Misquote: A pox on both your houses!
Actual quote: A plague o' both your houses!
Authors:
1. Will Rogers
2. Old English rhyme
3. Robert Burton
4. Nathan Hale
5. Alexander Pope
6. Alfred Lord Tennyson
7. William Shakespeare
No comments:
Post a Comment