CRYPTO CLUES XLI
GAMES Magazine
May/June, 1982
Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon
The hallmark of a cryptic clue is its two-part construction. One part of each clue is a definition of the required answer, and the other part is the wordplay disguising the definition. Sometimes a clue involves more than one kind of wordplay. For example, the clue, Egg is visible at hearing, can be answered by INCITE. Egg means to incite, and visible means in sight. Hearing suggests the wordplay - double meaning of egg and homophone of incite.
1. Move aloft (double clue)
2. Hearing I'll get passage (homophone)
3. Monarchs in hiking shoes (hidden word)
4. Open hot dog (two meanings)
5. Actor Welles of male progeny (two words)
6. Accent all but the top lock of hair (beheadment)
7. I do it stupidly (anagram)
8. Very happy sect converted a jerk (three words)
9. Admit Union General (two meanings)
10. Wild hogs bit VIP (anagram)
Answers:
1. FLOAT (move aloft [as a cloud]
move letters of aloft to FLOAT)
2. AISLE (I'll)
3. KINGS (hiking shoes)
4. FRANK
5. ORSON
6. TRESS (STRESS)
7. IDIOT (I do it)
8. ECSTATIC (sect + a + tic)
9. GRANT
10. BIGSHOT (hogs bit)
No comments:
Post a Comment